My body is accumulating some battle scars. A few climbing injuries are coming back to haunt me. An old ski injury flares up and now, just in the last 4 years, arthritis has started to creep into my life. So, I’ve been playing with prevention and cure. Here’s what I’ve learnt with 100% confidence.
1. Once it starts it’s there for good but you can prevent it from surfacing.
2. If you forget #1. You’ll hurt in places you never knew you could hurt.
3. The motto “use it or lose it” was invented for arthritis sufferers.
4. The medical profession hit it with pain killers and anti inflammatory’s … it’s like putting a muzzle on a rabid dog.
5. If it gets in too far, it’s really hard to fix (bone deposits and spurs on bone) without an operation.
6. Cortisone injections cost a mint, solve pain, but don’t fix arthritis
7. Every five minute nutritionalist/therapist/yogi/dietician/chiropractor/ etc etc claims to have a miracle cure. But if you sit in their waiting room they have a lot of long term patients (read contradiction)
8. There are some things that work and some that don’t and everything you read on the internet is a jumble mainly written by failed cases and frustrated people so it’s not a good source of information. Including this.
9. Stress is a primary cause of arthritis flare ups
10. Food is a solution
11. Medium intensity long period exercise is the worst offender (more than 30 minutes moderate)
12. Heavy weights are good
13. Slow exercise is great (almost no cardio increase)
14. Turmeric in huge loads is amazing (take pills)
15. Camphor in most Chinese herbal treatments is good for pain relief
16. Detox cleanses are spectacular (vegetable – no fruit) Ask and I’ll send you one.
17. Certain foods will trigger a bout of arthritis extremes within 24 hours (sugar and beer) (see more below)
18. Yoga is awesome – stretch is essential – blood flow to affected joints must be maintained as it is critical.
19. Someone will write the opposite to this online.
20. Most antibiotics, viagra, headache pills, anti inflammatories, skin rash creams, pain killers, aggravate the roots of deep arthritis.
Foods to Avoid…
This list is not comprehensive … however, it covers the worst offenders and lists the most common problem foods from top to bottom.
Foods that are BAD:
- Potato, Tomato,
- Vegetable oil
- Shell fish
- Red Meat Grain Fed
- Gluten (all wheat, pasta, cake, bread and pastry)
- Soft Drinks, Spirits, White wine, Rice wine etc)
- Spicy sauses
Foods that are GOOD:
- Chicken (poached)
- Fish (cooked and raw)
- Lettuce, and all salad
- Coconut oil
- Red meat (organic grass fed)
- Herb Tea
- Any Green Veggie